Two Greek hackers who managed to drive crazy 250,000 computers and their users worldwide, Facebook itself, and the Privacy Security system of Facebook also, are finally arrested by the Cyber Safety Administration in Greece, and their malware is no longer posing threat to cyberspace, the Administration announced.
The Chief of Computer Crime Unit of Greece, Brigadier Emmanouil Sfakianakis emphasized that it is the most important case ever, Greece’s Computer Crime Unit has handled, since this cases’ impacts had become extremely severe on the global Internet computer system. “We managed to avert a significant threat of digital safety which caused big problems to millions of internet users around the world.”
This was their hacking business:
The Greek hackers used mainly the worldwide expanded Facebook’s social network to access members, users, their friends and social media communities, as to provide the malware, codenamed as«Lecpetex», and had already succeeded to violate a large number of computer systems in the recent months.
- The perpetrators (31 and 27 years) were using the virus to fish passwords of electronic wallets on cyberspace that contained the digital-virtual coins, the well known bitcoins, and were transferring these passwords to other electronic wallets, which were under their control for profit.
Their methodology was to send a message to Facebook users, on which, the malware was appended as an attachment. In this way, they were succeeding to trick the users to open their message, a click that was automatically infecting the users’ computer.
- But the malware, which the two Greek hackers had produced themselves, called Lecpetex, has the ability to self-disseminate, so it managed to infect automatically all contacts and friends of the first user who opened the first malware message, by sending simultaneously, similar malicious messages. Thereby the number of infected computers worldwide expanded geometrically .
- But the two Greek hackers were mostly able to overcome even the Facebook privacy safety updates, by using advanced techniques and software, and succeeded finally to infect advanced mechanisms and computer systems, not just Facebook, but also other web companies around the world, thereby making the virus, one of the most serious threats to the world on the malware level.
- Alternatively, the perpetrators spread the malicious software by using special programs file sharing Peer 2 Peer, through which they offered free “cracked” versions of popular games, songs and movies, but in which they had attached their malware. As a result, users who free downloaded these files had their computers infected
-The computational power of the hundreds of thousands infected machines was used by the two hackers for the production of online virtual money (bitcoin mining). •
-Also, the Perpetrators using virus were intercepting also passwords of electronic wallets that contained the digital-virtual coins ,bitcoins, and transferred to other electronic wallets, which were under their control. The online virtual currencies (bitcoins) collected by the perpetrators:
a)were moved forward to specialized services of mixing (mixing services), through a specific network (TOR) in which Internet users gain access only by using specialized software to conceal all traces of their theft,and
b) were turned from virtual coins to real euros by using special electronic exchange services available on the internet, succeeding finally to collect illegal profits.
The malware virus,was also used by the two hackers for
- The theft of passwords of any kind. By using the virus they were intercepting passwords from emails and accounts of any kind (e-banking, Paypal etc.) and creating an extensive database. A typical example is that they finally achieved the interception of the password of email address of the Ministry of Mercantile Marine, in the content of which the perpetrators had gained full access .